Thursday, August 11, 2011

A Sweet Tooth's Heaven...

John and I are both sweet tooth's. We love our desserts and I always consider it the best part of any meal. However, we don't often eat dessert because we are trying to stay in shape and usually avoid the temptations if all possible. We joined a gym here in Chattanooga and have been going a few times a week. We have been doing really great and I think it helps when you can motivated each other. So one day after we worked out we were soaking up some sun at the sports facility pool and that's when the sweet tooth craving hit...we both wanted ice cream and were going to do anything to get it. Yes, we went to get ice cream after leaving the gym which totally ruins all those calories we just worked off. With that being said, we also both got cotton candy ice cream. We are A: sweet tooth's at heart and B: just big kids! Got to love it. Anyways, after ice cream I think the sweet tooth bug stuck with John because a few hours later he was begging me to make one of his favorite desserts, a cheesecake. John will never admit he is a sweet tooth but he REALLY is, sometimes even more than me which says a lot! So I planned on making him my first ever attempt at a cheesecake and thank God my Mom is such a wonderful cook that she has an amazing cheesecake recipe that is out of this world! I rolled up my new bride sleeves and was determined to get this cheesecake right for my husband. Lucky for me it turned out great and John has been enjoying a piece every night lately. So I will share this great recipe that has been in my family for so long...thanks Mom for all the great ideas and good cooking genes!!!

Mom's Famous Creamy Vanilla Cheesecake:

First what you'll need-
- 5 (8oz.) packages of soften cream cheese. I use the Philadelphia cream cheese and let it sit out for a few hours so it softens.

-1 1/2 cups of sugar

-3 Eggs

-2 1/2 tsp of vanilla extract

-1 box of graham cracker crumbs

-fresh strawberries (optional)

First, to make the crust take 1 2/3 cups of the graham cracker crumbs and 1/3 cup of melted butter. Combine the crumbs and butter together stirring well.

Then, press the mixture firmly and evenly onto the bottom and 1 inch up the sides of a 10 inch spring from pan.

Bake the crust for 5 mins. on 350.

For the cake: Beat cream cheese at high speed with mixer until light and fluffy. Gradually add the sugar. Then add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each egg.

Stir in vanilla and pour onto crust.

Then bake the cheesecake at 350 for 40 mins. Turn oven off, open the door partially for 30 mins. Let the cheesecake cool while in the oven. Cover and chill 6-8 hours
before serving. Garnish with strawberries (optional).

If anyone tries it out let me know how you like it! It's delicious! On another note, please pray I get over this awful sinus infection I have had for a few weeks now. I was put on antibiotics and got a steroid shot but still can't seem to feel better. On a happy note, Happy Two Months of Marriage Bliss to my wonderful husband!!! It has been so wonderful and can't believe it's been 2 months already!

-A Betty Crocker in Training

No comments:

Post a Comment